In this square, located outside the walls in times of Muslim Valencia, the community of citizens gathered on special occasions (the sar'ia). That gave name to the neighborhood located next to (the Xerea), and within the wall.

The building on the left is the Bancaja Cultural Centre. Dates from 1891 and was remodeled in 1980-1982. Of its original interior layout there is nothing left to adapt the building for cultural work. 1891 only preserves the facades.

In the foreground is a statue of San Vicente Ferrer, who is here since 1960. This is attributed to Ignacio Vergara, but not much security. The statue is located in the same square where it was placed the convent of San Vicente Ferrer and near his birthplace.

This church was started in the seventeenth century on the site of an ancient mosque, but the present building is the work of the seventeenth century and eighteenth century bell tower. The slight inclination of the bell is a consequence of the earthquake on March 5th of 1822. In the early twentieth century, its exterior was renovated. The interior has an original seventeenth-century altarpiece.

The Palace of the Inquisition was located in this square, also bordering the street Samaniego and the Navellos.

This long street is actually a piece of the famous Roman Via Augusta. By 1850 the street was extended from 10 m. width to 14 m. They disappeared medieval buildings and filled with nineteenth-century buildings, which have reached us in this stretch from Queen Square to City Hall.

In 1882 a store tissue located in this street called Casa Conejos, was the first to have electric lighting throughout Valencia. In 1886 electric lighting was already installed throughout the city, but for the streets were still using gas lamps.

The building has a colonnaded main courtyard with a statue of the Valencian philosopher Luis Vives in the center.

In 1844 the construction of the portico of Tuscan columns of this courtyard is started, while the second floor of columns, Ionic-Roman type, would be carried out in 1931 by Javier Goerlich.

It was a building designed by Federico Gomez in Membrillera as maritime station. His style is inspired from french (remember the Gare de Lyon in Paris).

Was very damaged in the Civil War and rebuilt in 1940, devoted to post office and telegraphs. Rehabilitated again in 1985, currently it is used for temporary exhibitions.

© 2021 | EverythingValencia. Diseño web: Xinxeta
Address
Los Olivos Lima - Peru
Phone
51 000-0000
Mail
info@localhost.xyz
Horary
Mon - Sat 9am to 8pm