This street is named for the ancient settlements of butchers who was in it, but today there are none.

Formerly, as stated in a tile, it was called Coixo Portal (Portal del Cojo). The name was because the street was a gate in the wall whose guardian was lame.

Azucat (dead end), there is to the left of the photograph, was formed in Islamic period. After the conquest of Valencia, in the azucat, the medieval chapel of San Gil was built and so this square was formerly called Piazza San Gil. In this azucat also he lived the painter Ignacio Pinazo.

In the square stands the headquarters of Caritas.

Benicarló palace, left, is the current headquarters of the Valencian Parliament. The works were started in the fifteenth century by Francesc Martinez Biulaigua, who died soon. He was succeeded by several teachers, including Pere Compte, who performed the steps of the inner courtyard.

This palace was the residence of the Borja in Valencia, but in 1870 became property of the Count of Benicarló. During the Civil War it hosted the Republican Government and after the Civil War was the official residence of Franco during his visits to Valencia. From 1973 it hosted the National Movement and in 1982 hosted the first Valencian autonomous government.

The Garden of Turia was conceived in XVIII distinct sections. There are still some to be built.

The section I is the bridge between October 9 and the waterwheel of Rovella.

Nova Hall has a coffered ceiling and a wooden gallery built between 1540 and 1566. The coffered ceiling is based on that found in the Throne Room of the Aljafería of Zaragoza.

The mural painting depicting a session of deputies of the Generalitat of Valencia Regne was made by Juan de Sariñena. After the walls intervene in other painters led by Sariñena.

The square is dedicated to Queen Maria de las Mercedes, wife of Alfonso XII. During the Republic Square was called the Region.

In this square was installed in 1930, the first light of Valencia. What manually triggering an urban guard.

© 2020 | EverythingValencia. Diseño web: Xinxeta
Los Olivos Lima - Peru
51 000-0000
Mon - Sat 9am to 8pm