Section IX, between the Exposition Bridge and the Las Flores Bridge, was once occupied by the works on the metro (Alameda Station). It was built in the years 2000-2001 and occupies an area of 34,439 m2.

It has an esplanade for holding events, such as fairs and firework displays.

The old Hieronymite monastery of San Miguel de los Reyes was founded in 1546 by the Dukes of Calabria: Fernando de Aragón and Germana de Foix. The monastery also had to serve as a family pantheon.

It was projected, in fully Renaissance style, by Alonso de Covarrubias and Juan de Vidaña. It was built on another older Cistercian monastery. The church of this monastery dates back to the 17th century and has a magnificent façade-altarpiece.

The monastery suffered damage during the Napoleonic invasion, when it was converted into an artillery barracks. It was later bought by an owner who wanted to demolish it in 1843. In the end, the government came to the rescue of the building.

After the confiscation it passed to the State which, from 1859, used it as a prison. In 1966 it became a storage room for the Town Hall and the Provincial Council. The old monastery is currently the headquarters of the Valencian Library since the year 2000. The Valencian Library was formed from the legacy of Nicolau Primitiu and other donations. It has rare copies, incunabula, editions and documents from the 16th century.

The Reina Sofía Palace of the Arts replaced the Communications Tower of the initial project. The building has sculptural forms.

This building has four rooms: Main (for opera), Aula Magistral, Auditorium (the largest room) and Martín y Soler Theater. It also has a room for exhibitions.

In principle it was going to be just a City of Sciences but, when this new building was added, it was renamed the City of Arts and Sciences.

San Vicente Ferrer was born in this house in 1350, which in 1498 was bought by the convent of Santo Domingo de Valencia and two years later sold to the millinery guild, since San Vicente was its patron. In 1573 the guild sold the house to the municipal government, which also bought some adjacent houses.

In 1676 the chapel was restored, which was actually the house of San Vicente and in the 18th century the facade of the house was decorated with tiles from Manises.

Today practically nothing remains of the old Birthplace of San Vicente. The house threatened ruin and was demolished, being built another in the same place in the middle of the 20th century.

The church is in the Gothic style typical of the Languedoc region of France, with a single nave and chapels located between buttresses. The first arch rests on capitals of clear Muslim origin. It was declared a National Monument in 1943 thanks to the intervention of Elías Tormo.

Since 1987, the church has been being restored and returned to its primitive Gothic style. Any baroque decoration that it had was removed, leaving only the chapel of Santa Bárbara, with its sgraffito from the end of the 17th century.

The paintings in the chapels, which appeared after the restoration of the church, are from the 13th century. The church was covered with lime on the inside since the 14th century, this has made the paintings very well preserved.

In the basement of the square there is the Tossal Gallery, an official exhibition center that preserves the remains of the Islamic wall of Balensiya: a square tower and a painting of the wall from the 12th century. Also an 11th century angled door.

© 2024 | EverythingValencia. Diseño web: Xinxeta
Address
Los Olivos Lima - Peru
Phone
51 000-0000
Mail
info@localhost.xyz
Horary
Mon - Sat 9am to 8pm