The Lonja de Valencia has had various uses. It even became a military barracks, after the War of Succession and until 1762. Its gardens were used as a kitchen for the troops, which caused serious deterioration.

During the Civil War, when the government of the Republic was established in Valencia, it was used as a meeting of the Spanish Courts in November 1936.

The Patio de los Naranjos is a small garden in the Lonja de Valencia where there is a starry fountain, it is not the original, but a recent neo-Gothic construction. The garden was watered with water from a well located in the nearby Calle de la Cénia. With the water from this well, a fountain located in the Plaza del Mercado, in front of the Lonja, was also supplied by means of a cenia or waterwheel built in 1531.

Through the garden you go up to the Consolat del Mar, which was where the problems of maritime trade were solved. This is already in the Renaissance style and has a coffered ceiling that was formerly in the House of the City.

Dr. Collado square is dedicated to Luis Collado (1520-1589), who was a professor of anatomy at the University of Valencia and scholar of the ossicles of the ear.

Here was the old Lonja de los Mercaderes, from the fourteenth century, called Lonja del Aceite because this product was the one with the largest trade. It was demolished in 1877. Merchants who had tried to deceive were brought to this market by the mustasaf or almotacen, to expose them to popular derision.

Until 2020, there was a unique store in the city in one corner of the square: the Hija de Blas Luna hardware store. In it they were sold from metallic cloth, to any tool for the field; it looked more like a rural store.

A little further on, on the same sidewalk, was a movie projector repair shop.

This Gothic palace was subdivided into rental housing in the 19th century. Later it remained uninhabited for a long time, until a private foundation, Chirivella-Soriano, rehabilitated it during the years 2003-2005. Today it is a cultural center where exhibitions are held. Unfortunately the surroundings are not in keeping with its interior.

Zeit Abu Zeit (or Zaid) was Moorish king of Valencia, deposed by Zayyan in 1229. Later he converted to Christianity taking the name of Vicent Bellvís. His remains are buried in the current convent of La Puridad.

This street, next to Jaime I and Conquista, arose as a result of the demolition of the Puridad convent in 1836. It was the first urban intervention in the city to build houses for the middle bourgeoisie, with its own toilets and well; and no workshops on the ground floor. The project took place in the middle of the 19th century.

In this street is the French Institute, dedicated to promoting the French language and culture.

This street is named after a type of leather tanners who in the Middle Ages worked with deer, roe deer, fallow deer and sheep skins to make gloves and parchments.

The building on the left, from 1870, was dedicated to cockfighting, a hobby that lasted until 1936. It was renovated in the years 1990-1991 to be used as an exhibition hall. It belongs to the Consorci de Museus de la Comunitat Valenciana.

© 2024 | EverythingValencia. Diseño web: Xinxeta
Address
Los Olivos Lima - Peru
Phone
51 000-0000
Mail
info@localhost.xyz
Horary
Mon - Sat 9am to 8pm