The old Hieronymite monastery of San Miguel de los Reyes was founded in 1546 by the Dukes of Calabria: Fernando de Aragón and Germana de Foix. The monastery also had to serve as a family pantheon.

It was projected, in fully Renaissance style, by Alonso de Covarrubias and Juan de Vidaña. It was built on another older Cistercian monastery. The church of this monastery dates back to the 17th century and has a magnificent façade-altarpiece.

The monastery suffered damage during the Napoleonic invasion, when it was converted into an artillery barracks. It was later bought by an owner who wanted to demolish it in 1843. In the end, the government came to the rescue of the building.

After the confiscation it passed to the State which, from 1859, used it as a prison. In 1966 it became a storage room for the Town Hall and the Provincial Council. The old monastery is currently the headquarters of the Valencian Library since the year 2000. The Valencian Library was formed from the legacy of Nicolau Primitiu and other donations. It has rare copies, incunabula, editions and documents from the 16th century.

The monastery consists of two cloisters and a church. The south cloister (in the photo), inspired by Escuralia, was completed in 1607.

The north cloister began to be built on top of an older one, in 1756, and its works were interrupted as of 1802. Later, to be used as a prison, walls, cells and vaults were demolished; in its place two pavilions were built.

The south cloister (in the photo) and the church, built from 1623 to 1644, are the pieces of greatest architectural value.

To be able to see the monastery there are two guided tours for small groups and individuals. They can be held on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, at 12 noon. and at 1 p.m.

© 2022 | EverythingValencia. Diseño web: Xinxeta
Address
Los Olivos Lima - Peru
Phone
51 000-0000
Mail
info@localhost.xyz
Horary
Mon - Sat 9am to 8pm