In this street there are three emblematic buildings of the city of Valencia: the North Station, the Plaza de Toros and the Luis Vives Institute.

The Luis Vives Institute dates from 1562, although most of what is preserved already belongs to the 18th century. At first it was called Colegio San Pablo and it was a teaching center of the Society of Jesus. In 1859 it was renamed the Luis Vives Institute and in 1978 it underwent an unfortunate restoration. The Valencian writer Max Aub studied there.

This pedestrian street, formerly led to the Ruzafa gate of the medieval wall. On the street was the Trianón Palace or Lyric Theater, designed by Javier Goerlich and inaugurated in 1914. It was demolished in 1950.

On the east side of the street were the hospital d'En Bou (14th century), the San Fulgencio school (16th century) and the Santa Clara convent (17th century). On the west side there was also the hospice of Montserrat (16th century). All these buildings disappeared after the urban reforms carried out between the 19th and 20th centuries.

 

In 1854 the City House was moved from the Generalitat garden to its current location in the Plaza del Ayuntamiento. The building that houses it is the old Teaching House (18th century).

In 1906 some important reforms began that would not finish until the end of the 30s of the 20th century, highlighting among them the new façade with its 50 m clock tower. tall, by Carlos Carbonell and Francisco Mora. Inside, the marble staircase, the party room (called of Cristal), the Pompeyana room and of the Chimney room (the mayor's office) stand out.

The old convent of San Francisco was located in the Plaza del Ayuntamiento, which was demolished in 1891. In its place the San Francisco park was built.

The square was configured with the following spaces: the San Francisco Park, the San Francisco Bajada and the Cashiers Square. The Marquis de Sotelo, mayor of the city (1927-1930), was the great promoter of the current square.

One of the consequences of the construction of this square was the transfer of the old railway station to its current location on Xàtiva street. The station , since 1852, it was where the Telefónica building is today.

In 1936, at the beginning of the Civil War, the square already had its current appearance, as can be seen in the photos from that time. This in terms of the buildings, because the central platform built by Javier Goerlich did not disappear until the reform of 1961.

The square has had numerous names throughout its short history: San Francisco, Espartero, Isabel II, La Libertad, Emilio Castelar, El Caudillo, the Valencian Country and the City Council.

The square and the surrounding buildings have been declared a Historic-Artistic Site.

This square is dedicated to Rodrigo Botet who, despite being an engineer, had a fondness for paleontology. He was the founder of the Paleontological Museum of Valencia, located for a time in the Almudín building. Currently the content of this old museum is in the Museum of Natural Sciences of the Royal Gardens.

© 2021 | EverythingValencia. Diseño web: Xinxeta
Address
Los Olivos Lima - Peru
Phone
51 000-0000
Mail
info@localhost.xyz
Horary
Mon - Sat 9am to 8pm