This building, started in 1758, went from being a Customs Office to being a Tobacco Factory (1828). It was carried out by Felipe Rubio, Antonio Gilabert and Tomás Miner. In 1895 it suffered a terrible fire. In 1914, the reform works began to transform it into a Palace of Justice, which happened in 1922.

The sculptures of Carlos III, Justice and Prudence, which appear at the top of the cover, are works by Ignacio Vergara.

This square is dedicated to the Count of Barcelona and King of Aragon, Valencia, Mallorca, Sicily, Sardinia and, for a time (1442-1458), of as well of Naples .

The Plaza de Alfonso el Magnánimo was formed when the French Marshal Suchet ordered, in 1812, the demolition of some houses for tactical war reasons, in the Valencia occupied by the French. He had militarily occupied Customs and feared an attack from the adjoining houses.

The sculpture of Jaime I was placed in this square in 1891.

The Fountain of Neptune, which is located in one corner of this square, had previously been in the orchard of Canon Pontons, in Patraix. This canon, who lived between the 17th and 18th centuries, had an opulent residence in Patraix full of statues and fountains, which were later distributed throughout the city of Valencia. This residence was bequeathed by the canon, when he died, to the kings of Spain FelipeV and María Luisa de Saboya.

Fishermen neighborhood was demolished at the end of the 19th century and new streets were opened, wider and paved with stone pavers. Correos Street was one of them. The fact that the Fishermen's quarter had been here since the Middle Ages, and not on the coast, was due to fear of attack by pirates.

Once the Fisherman neighborhood disappeared in 1890, the urban reforms continued. Houses were built for the bourgeoisie with electric elevators (before they were steam), electric light, private bathrooms; and also telephones, which had appeared in Valencia for the first time in 1883.

The General Hospital was founded, in the year 1512, by an order of Ferdinand the Catholic. With this order, all the hospitals of the time that were in Valencia were consolidated into one.

An isolated portal remains of the old hospital, which was destroyed by fire in 1545 (in the image). The current building dates from 1546 and is the work of Gaspar Gregori, who also built the gallery of arcades of the cathedral that overlooks the Plaza de la Virgen. The hospital was built in a fully Renaissance style.

In 1960 the new General Hospital was built on Avenida del Cid. Today, the Gaspar Gregori building is used as a public library.

This hospital is the first in Spain to apply the model that emerged in northern Italy, with a central space from where all the wards were controlled and two infirmaries where patients could be separated by sex and ailments. Of the two infirmaries, only the one that has been transformed into a public library remains standing today. The other was demolished in 1974 and loose pieces remain in the gardens (columns, capitals, etc.).

This church is the only thing that remains of the old Augustinian convent that had been founded, outside the Muslim wall, in 1281. When the wall was extended in the 14th century, the convent remained within the walled enclosure. The current nave of the church seems to be from this period. The new bell tower dates from 1912.

Javier Goerlich, from 1940, returned the church to the initial Gothic style, removing the baroque and classicist decoration that covered it; building the cover that faces Guillem de Castro street and finishing off the bell tower. There are remains of this important convent (it had two cloisters) in the Museum of Fine Arts.

© 2023 | EverythingValencia. Diseño web: Xinxeta
Address
Los Olivos Lima - Peru
Phone
51 000-0000
Mail
info@localhost.xyz
Horary
Mon - Sat 9am to 8pm