In this square are three of the most important historical buildings in Valencia: the Cathedral of Santa Maria, the Basilica of the Virgin of the Helpless and the Palace of the Generalitat.

The square was once called Plaza de la Seu and occupies the space that occupied the old Roman forum in the city of Valentia.

The building on the right is the Costume House, the late eighteenth century. Its architect was José García and serves as a meeting place to the judges of the Court of the Waters before attending the trials held in front, at the door of the Apostles of the Cathedral. It is also a public library.

Formerly it used for municipal authorities to dress to participate in public ceremonies, hence its name.

Valencia's cathedral was begun in the seventeenth century, the master builder Arnau Vidal being. The slight difference in height between the central nave and side buttresses did not need to counter the thrust of the vault, resulting somewhat stocky, unlike most Gothic buildings, which tend upwards.

The door of the Apostles (pictured), is already the fourteenth century and was made by Nicholas of Ancona in a style of French influence.

This door before the Water Court, a jury of irrigation charge of settling disputes which may arise between the farmers of the Community of Irrigators Valencia Orchard meets every Thursday.

Tympanum of the door of the Apostles. Here figure the Virgin Mary who is consecrated the cathedral. All of this cover statues, which were badly damaged by the poor quality of the stone, were replaced by copies. The originals are kept in the Cathedral Museum.

This basilica was made by the requenense Diego Martínez Ponce de Urrana, from 1653, to house the image of the Virgin of the Forsaken, patroness of Valencia. The oval plant contained in a rectangle is related to the church of Santa Ana of the grooms of Rome, Vignola.

On the right you can see the gallery of arches of the cathedral (1566), a construction and fully Renaissance. Work called Nova, was made by Gaspar Gregori and from there, the aristocracy and religious authorities, watched the acts that were developed in the Plaza de la Virgen. Here also he was venerated image of the Virgin of the Helpless before the construction of the basilica.

In the back of the Palace of the Generalitat is a garden since 1860. Previously, since the fourteenth century, here was the House of the City (municipal government) that was demolished in the mid-nineteenth century.

The Miguelete is the bell tower of the cathedral, Gothic, measures 50.85 m. to the terrace.

This type of tower passes from southern France to the Crown of Aragon. Work began in 1381 under the direction of Andreu Juliá, mestre Tortosa Cathedral. Later he works Pere Balaguer in the works. The lower body is totally solid, except for the portion of the spiral staircase. In the third part of the tower was the house manager ringing the bells until the twentieth century.

It is so called because its main bell was baptized Michaelmas (September 29) with the name of Micalet (Miguelete). The name of the bell went to the tower.

On the left, in front of the column with the statue of Francisco Pizarro and next to the palace of the Baylia, it is the palace of the Marqués de la Scala. The Marquis de la Scala (name assumed by marriage with Italian Altadona Scala) were also Lords of Manises and hence the square is named. This palace dates from the sixteenth century and contains Gothic and Renaissance elements.

© 2021 | EverythingValencia. Diseño web: Xinxeta
Address
Los Olivos Lima - Peru
Phone
51 000-0000
Mail
info@localhost.xyz
Horary
Mon - Sat 9am to 8pm