This square is dedicated to the 19th century conservative poet and deputy, Teodoro Llorente, who lived in the building opposite in the photo.

The statue is dedicated to the painter Ribera. This sculpture underwent several transfers until it was located in this square.

Here was also the tower of Ali Bufat, demolished in 1865. It was famous because here the Muslims raised the banner of Jaime I as a sign of the surrender of Balansiya, the Muslim Valencia.

In this square are the palace (former monastery) and the church called the Temple.

Although the land on which they sit belongs, since the beginning of the 14th century, to the Order of Montesa, it continued to retain the name of the Temple. Indeed, in 1317 the Order of Montesa inherited the monastery and the church when the Order of the Temple was dissolved.

The new monastery and the new church of the Order of Montesa were built during the years 1761-1770 by order of Carlos III, after the earthquake that destroyed the castle of Montesa and demolishing the old medieval buildings that had belonged in their day to the Order of the Temple, located in this square. Its style is neoclassical.

After the War of Independence, the monastery was abandoned, being used later by various administrations. It is currently the seat of the Government Delegation.

 

The name of this square does not come from a supposed saint so named, but from the discovery of a bundle, in the 13th century, which, when opened, contained an image of Christ. In this way it was called the Holy Bulge of Jesus (Sant Bult in Valencian). The image of Christ is usually kept in the Sant Bult Home School Board, located on En Blanch street.

 

 

This small square preserves the modest 19th century family homes intact and has an atzucac (cul-de-sac), which can be seen on the right in the image, with the curious name of Calle de las Impertinencias.

The atzucacs are inherited from the ancient urban layout of the Muslim city of Balansiya.

This bridge was built at the end of the 16th century, replacing another that had been made with fragile wood and materials. It has two casalicios, one with the statue of San Vicente Mártir and the other with that of San Vicente Ferrer. The bridge was rebuilt and widened in 1968. In this reform, it lost a lateral staircase that goes down to the river.

The statues of San Vicente Mártir and San Vicente Ferrer, from the 17th century, were destroyed during the Civil War. They were replaced during the years 1945-1946. The one of San Vicente Ferrer (in the image) is the work of Ignacio Pinazo Martínez.

Although of Gothic origin, this palace takes its current configuration in the 18th century. The sixth count of Cervelló, Felipe Carlos Osorio, gave it to the municipal government when he moved to live in Madrid.

During the 19th century it was the Military Captaincy and Royal Residence, when the old Royal Palace located in the Viveros gardens was demolished during the War of Independence (1810). It was the residence of Marshal Suchet during the Napoleonic invasion and later Fernando VII signed here the decree of repeal of the Cortes of Cádiz, in 1814. The regent María Cristina also signed her abdication here in 1840, going into exile and leaving her daughter Isabel. under the mentorship of Espartero.

In 1936 it was the headquarters of the Communist Party and, after the Civil War, it was the headquarters of the O.J.E., the Triunfo and Cid academies, and the "La Vasca" pension. In 1976 it became the property of the City Council and in 2003 it was inaugurated as a Municipal Historical Archive.

In this square, located outside the walls in times of Muslim Valencia, the community of citizens met on special occasions (the sar'ia). That gave its name to the neighborhood located next to it (la Xerea), already within the wall.

The building on the left is the Bancaja Cultural Center. It dates from 1891 and was remodeled in the years 1980-1982. Nothing remains of its original interior distribution as the building was adapted for its cultural work, so from 1981 it only conserves the facades.

In the foreground there is a statue of San Vicente Ferrer, who has been here since 1960. It is attributed to Ignacio Vergara, but there is not much security. The statue is located in the same square where the former convent of San Vicente Ferrer was located and near his birthplace.

© 2021 | EverythingValencia. Diseño web: Xinxeta
Address
Los Olivos Lima - Peru
Phone
51 000-0000
Mail
info@localhost.xyz
Horary
Mon - Sat 9am to 8pm