The north portal faces the patio and is from the 13th century, in the Romanesque style. In the keystone of the arch we can see the coat of arms of the Order, which was a simple white cross on a red background. Over this door a pointed arch with an oculus in which appears the Maltese cross was built later, since this military and hospitable order was actually called Saint John of Jerusalem, Rhodes and Malta.

The church is in the Gothic style typical of the Languedoc region of France, with a single nave and chapels located between buttresses. The first arch rests on capitals of clear Muslim origin. It was declared a National Monument in 1943 thanks to the intervention of Elías Tormo.

Since 1987, the church has been being restored and returned to its primitive Gothic style. Any baroque decoration that it had was removed, leaving only the chapel of Santa Bárbara, with its sgraffito from the end of the 17th century.

The paintings in the chapels, which appeared after the restoration of the church, are from the 13th century. The church was covered with lime on the inside since the 14th century, this has made the paintings very well preserved.

This street is so named because at the end of it, also bordering the Plaza del Poeta Llorente and Calle del Pintor López, was the convent of the Trinitarians. This convent disappeared in the last third of the 19th century due to the confiscation. In its place a block of houses was built.

This street is so named because the Archbishop's Palace is located in it. In another time it was called, among other names, Baixada del Bisbe (Bishop's Bajada); by the small slope that there is until the square of Naples and Sicily.

In the photo you can see the Almirante's palace, from the 15th century, although its façade is already from the 18th century. This palace has interesting Gothic coffered ceilings in the lobby and in the Hall of Shields. It also has a Renaissance coffered ceiling (on the mezzanine) and a Baroque one (in the Fireplace Room). It is currently the headquarters of the Ministry of Economy and Finance.

These baths were used until the 20th century and have an entrance hall, a cold room, a warm room and a hot room. The room in the photo is adjacent to the cold room and had bathroom utensils and latrines.

In the hot room there is an opening that allowed boiling water to be taken. The hot air produced by the boiler was distributed under the floor of the room through a low-rise chamber. As the floor was very hot, people were pouring buckets of water continuously, and that generated steam. Only a few minutes passed here.

In the 19th century the baths were restored adding a neo-Arab decoration. They closed in 1959.

During the years 1961-1963, the neo-Arab decoration of the 19th century was restored and eliminated. From 1963 a boxing gym was installed. In 1985 the Generaltitat Valenciana acquired the building and in 1999 the rehabilitation project was carried out. In 2005 they were opened to the public for visits.

The photo shows the warm room, where people spent most of their time.

© 2021 | EverythingValencia. Diseño web: Xinxeta
Address
Los Olivos Lima - Peru
Phone
51 000-0000
Mail
info@localhost.xyz
Horary
Mon - Sat 9am to 8pm