The Royal Seminary College of Corpus Christi was founded by Juan de Ribera, archbishop and viceroy of Valencia, to train priests in the principles of the Counter-Reformation.

The building was built where there used to be a series of houses from the old Jewish quarter or call. On the outside it has an austere appearance, but inside the highlights are: the Renaissance courtyard, with marble columns bought in Genoa, and the church.

The magnificent Renaissance cloister of this college has two floors. The columns on the ground floor are of the Tuscan type and those of the first floor of the Ionic-Roman type. It was built by Guillem del Rey. In the center there is a statue of the Patriarch San Juan de Ribera, made by Mariano Benlliure in 1896, located where there used to be a 17th century fountain.

Through the cloister you climb a staircase to the Museo del Patriarca, a small museum where you can find works by great artists such as Francisco Ribalta, José Ribera, Andrea del Sarto, etc., highlighting among his works a magnificent triptych by the Flemish painter Dirck Bouts.

 The church of the Colegio del Patriarca, is the first in Valencia that ends with the type of medieval church. It was made by Guillem del Rey and has a Latin cross plan, side chapels and a dome over the transept. The frescoes were made by the Genoese painter Bartolomé Matarana. Its altar is presided over by the painting of The Holy Supper, made by Ribalta, which presents the originality that the apostles are located in a circle.

This church has a richly decorated interior in contrast to its austerity exterior.

Although older, the current configuration of this palace responds to the interventions of the 18th century. Hipólito Rovira, Ignacio Vergara and Luis Domingo took part in the renovation. Between 1969-1971 there was an extension of the palace in the same style, and in the years 1991-1998 restoration and consolidation works were carried out due to its condition.

It is the headquarters of the González Martí National Museum of Ceramics and Sumptuary Arts.

This building was that of the University of Valencia, where there were some faculties until a few years ago. Originally from the end of the 15th century, it reached its current configuration with the reform of 1839, carried out by Timoteo Calvo after the damage of the War of Independence, and other later ones; until the project of Luis Carratalá and Antonio Escario (1997-1999) is carried out. In 1840 the exterior facade was rebuilt following the neoclassical model projected by Antonio Martorell in 1793.

The university auditorium dates from the 17th century. The neoclassical chapel, from the 18th century, and the library also stand out.

The courtyard of the rectory dates from 1842, and was also designed by the architect Timoteo Calvo.

In 1954, Javier Goerlich demolished houses that dominated the Plaza del Colegio del Patriarca, leaving the building occupying the entire block.

The building has a colonnaded main courtyard with a statue of the Valencian philosopher Luis Vives in the center.

In 1844 the construction of the portico of Tuscan columns of this patio began, while the second floor of columns, of the Ionic-Roman type, would be carried out in 1931 by Javier Goerlich.

To commemorate the 500th anniversary of its foundation, another reform is carried out (1997-1999), in order to adapt the building to its new functions as a cultural center. In this renovation, modern additions are removed and historical elements are enhanced. The archaeological remains of the Muslim era, which were already known, were revealed through a methacrylate plate on the ground, at the entrance to the University Street.

The street receives this name because several booksellers were established here between the 15th and 16th centuries.

Although of Gothic origin, most of the construction of this palace dates from the 18th century. Already in the twentieth century, it lost its back patio and was divided into two, one of the parts being used for housing. In the 90s of the 20th century it was rehabilitated and is currently the headquarters of the Valencia Stock Exchange. The Boïl de Arenós coat of arms still appears on its cover.

© 2021 | EverythingValencia. Diseño web: Xinxeta
Address
Los Olivos Lima - Peru
Phone
51 000-0000
Mail
info@localhost.xyz
Horary
Mon - Sat 9am to 8pm