This church stands on the ruins of the Roman circus and the Muslim wall from the 12th century, where the Xerea gate (Bab al Saria) stood.

This church, called La Congregación, was the 17th century temple of the Oratorian convent. Its current appearance is due to the renovation of the years 1725-1736, according to the plans of the mathematician Tomás Vicente Tosca, a member of the order. It is inspired by Vignola models such as "Il Gesú" in Rome. The interior plinths are covered with tiles from the 18th century.

San Vicente Ferrer was born in this house in 1350, which in 1498 was bought by the convent of Santo Domingo de Valencia and two years later sold to the millinery guild, since San Vicente was its patron. In 1573 the guild sold the house to the municipal government, which also bought some adjacent houses.

In 1676 the chapel was restored, which was actually the house of San Vicente and in the 18th century the facade of the house was decorated with tiles from Manises.

Today practically nothing remains of the old Birthplace of San Vicente. The house threatened ruin and was demolished, being built another in the same place in the middle of the 20th century.

In 1878 this street took the name of La Paz at the end of the Carlist Wars (the third Carlist War had ended in 1876).

The idea of a road that would connect the Puente del Mar with the Plaza del Mercado arose in 1868, with the demolition of the convents of Santa Tecla and San Cristóbal. The street, which was then called the street of the Revolution, advanced very slowly and with opposition from the neighbors. In principle it was going to be 20 to 25 meters wide, but it stayed at 16 meters. In 1883 the complete project of the street was approved, but its total opening was not achieved until 1902.

In the early years of the 20th century it became the luxury center of the city, with its shops, restaurants and hotels. Salons such as the Ideal Room, the Munich or the Café de la Paz stood out.

This garden is from the early 19th century and was built by popular subscription. The idea comes from the French administration, during the occupation of the Napoleonic troops. In 1812, Marshal Suchet bought the land and ordered the construction of a gloriette, but it was General Javier Elío who commissioned the architect Manuel Serrano Insa for its construction in 1817. In 1820 the works were interrupted with the triumph of the liberal revolution, resuming in 1839. The garden was enclosed with an iron fence and a monumental portal was built in front of Calle del Mar.

The Triton Fountain (17th century) that appears in the image is by the Italian sculptor Ponzanelli and was permanently moved here in 1860. It had previously been in the garden of Canónigo Pontons, in Patraix.

Those that are today large ficus were planted in the middle of the 19th century. In the 1926 reform, La Glorieta was configured as it is today and the iron fence that surrounded it was used to surround the Jardines del Real, as we see today.

The old Exhibition Bridge was inaugurated in 1909 on the occasion of the Regional Exhibition. It was the first reinforced concrete bridge built in Valencia. In 1957 the flood destroyed it.

In its place, a footbridge was built that lasted until the completion of the new bridge in 1991-1995, the work of Santiago Calatrava. This bridge is built in white painted steel and, due to its large arch, the Valencians have named it "La Peineta".

© 2021 | EverythingValencia. Diseño web: Xinxeta
Address
Los Olivos Lima - Peru
Phone
51 000-0000
Mail
info@localhost.xyz
Horary
Mon - Sat 9am to 8pm