The Trinidad convent is of great historical importance, as it was founded in 1444 by María de Castilla, who was the consort of Alfonso the Magnanimous and regent during his long absence in Naples. Maria would be buried in the cloister of this monastery.

Masters Francesc Baldomar and Francesc Martí Biulaygua took part in the construction of the convent. The portal of the church, which is accessed through a courtyard, is the work of Pere Compte and has a Florentine ceramic tondo attributed to Lucca della Robbia. The interior of the church was renovated in the 17th century, in the Baroque style.

The convent has, attached to the wall and facing the river, a series of restored houses, which were the houses of the workers who exercised the different trades in the monastery. They were also used to temporarily house the relatives of the nuns during their visits to the convent.

Access to the church is from the square that is located behind these houses.

In 1444, faced with scandals, since the Trinitarian monastery had become a brothel, the monks were evicted and the convent was occupied by Poor Clare nuns.

In 1983 it was declared a National Historic-Artistic Site.

The old Colegio de San Pío V, currently the Museum of Fine Arts of Valencia, was founded in the 17th century to train priests. It was traced by Juan Bautista Pérez Castiel, being executed by José Minguez and Juan Pérez (nephew and son of Pérez Castiel) who introduced some changes.

Throughout its history, this building has been a Military Academy for Cadets (1819-1826), a Charity House, a supply warehouse for the army and a Military Hospital (during the Civil War). Since 1946 it is the Museum of Fine Arts.

This interesting museum contains works by Ribera, Ribalta, Velázquez, Goya, Massimo Stanzione, Luca Giordano, Van Goyen, Van Dyck, Alonso Cano, Murillo, El Greco, etc. It also has a large number of Gothic and Renaissance paintings.

An intervention completed in 2006 expanded the exhibition area.

In a reform, the remains of the palace of Ambassador Vich were placed, recomposing its Renaissance patio (in the photo). These remains were deposited in the old convent of Carmen and in the building of the Museum of Fine Arts.

Jerónimo Vich had been ambassador of Fernando el Católico and Carlos I before the Holy See. He arrived in Rome in 1507, this brought him into contact with the new Renaissance style.

This palace had been demolished in 1859, but the Academy of Fine Arts of San Carlos was left in the care of the elements that had been saved, with them it was possible to rebuild the patio at the beginning of 2007.

The Jardines del Real, also called Viveros, are about 200,000 m2. The Royal Palace of Valencia was formerly located here. These gardens are closed, in part, with the construction material and fences that once surrounded the Glorieta. They moved here in 1926.

To one side of the Museum of Fine Arts there is a small garden in which the main elements are citrus fruits and water; It was made in 1952 and recalls the small Valencian private gardens and patios. It is accessed through the old portal of the Collegiate Church of San Bartolomé (in the image).

The Royal Palace of Valencia was destroyed by the defenders of the city, before the attack of the French troops, at the beginning of the 19th century. It was about Marshal Suchet not occupying it and attacking the city of Valencia from there.

The two small mountains that are next to the gate of General Elío Street, are formed by the rubble of the old Royal Palace.

It was from 1874 when this place began to be configured as a public garden, when the Crown renounced its property. In the year 1887 they become dependent on the Diputación and in the year 1903 they are ceded to the City Council, which will use it at first as a plant nursery; for this reason it also receives the name of Jardines de los Viveros. It is in the year 1912 when it acquires the appearance of a municipal park for the citizens' pastime. In 1916 the City Council acquired the land and in 1919 there was an expansion project.

© 2022 | EverythingValencia. Diseño web: Xinxeta
Address
Los Olivos Lima - Peru
Phone
51 000-0000
Mail
info@localhost.xyz
Horary
Mon - Sat 9am to 8pm