At the end of the 17th century, the Alameda was already a landscaped promenade, but the subsequent War of Succession left it quite destroyed.

The Torres de los Guardas (in the image one of them), were built in 1714 and were intended to house the tenants of the nearby orchards, who had an obligation to leave the Alameda ground in good condition. These towers were dedicated to San Jaime and San Felipe, and are located at the beginning of the promenade, near the Jardines del Real.